The factory PM981 NVMe drive does not play well with macOS.
For installation on the factory drive
PM981, please refer to Issue #43. I do, however, recommend against this.
Replace the PM981 with an aftermarket NVMe for a much smoother experience.
Consult the dortania/Anti-Hackintosh-Buyers-Guide for up-to-date storage recommendations.
You can install an additional M.2 2242 NVMe drive in the WWAN card slot.
This is very useful if you intend to also use Windows/Linux, as partitioning a single drive for dual booting can be troublesome.
WiFi and Bluetooth
If your laptop did not come with WWAN, you can purchase additional antennas to add to your laptop. This is useful when using WiFi/Bluetooth cards that have 3 antennas.
- The laptop's default wireless card should work via the OpenIntelWireless kexts.
- For a vanilla and native experience, you may wish to buy a BCM94360CS2 card, along with a M.2 NGFF adapter.
- For future proofing and the fastest wireless/bluetooth speed, I recommend the AX200 (the card I am using). This card will also require the various OpenIntelWireless kexts.
patches/Network Patches/ for OpenCore patches for custom wireless cards.
- You should also see
- Repaste the machine with thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
- If you're experienced or would to try liquid metal, use Grizzly Conductonaut. Though I've found that in my expereience, Grizzly Kryonaut is enough.
- Replace your machine's fan (if applicable). See https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/c7zpah/x1_carbon_6th_gen_horrible_cooling_fan_design/
- Mod the BIOS the unlock Intel Advance Menu. see BIOS.md
- These are relevant components on my machine which may differ from yours, keep these in mind as you will need to adjust accordingly, depending on your machine's configuration.
|CPU||i7-8650U||Generate your own
|SSD||Seagate Firecuda 520 500GB||Dortania's Anti Hackintosh Buyers Guide|
|Display||14.0" (355mm) HDR WQHD (2560x1440)||
|WiFi & BT||BCM94360CS2||
|WWAN||None||Unless needed in other OSes, disable at BIOS to save power|
- Refer to /docs/references/x1c6-Platform_Specifications for possible stock ThinkPad X1 6th Gen configurations.